Monday, September 6, 2010

Where'd I put my camera?





Some photographers are never caught without a camera. They take the camera everywhere; shooting all the time. I'm not one of those photographers. In fact, I probably don't shoot near enough to even call myself a photographer. Maybe. And while I like having a vision to execute, I also like the visceral approach of taking an interesting subject somewhere interesting and seeing what happens. I think the majority of commercial photographers never take this approach preferring to have a layout in front of them. Which is fine, but I think that I get a lot of happy accidents by letting things 'just flow'.

This is my friend Matt "the Cat" Hillyer of the band 1100 Springs. One day he called me and wanted some pics and I was happy to have a partner that understood the value of seeing what happens when you don't have any preset rules. Perhaps because he's a musician, or maybe he just trusts me? Anyway, we got in the car and started driving until we found a small town square. In this town square we found an old telephone booth and a vintage car restorer that happened to be a fan of Matt's band. He was more than obliging to let us use his cars for the shots. This would have never happened in a million years had we designed the shoot. This is the kind of happy accident that only happens when you let things be and are open to seeing what happens.

These are two shots that I thought were OK but were 2nds when I first looked at them, but I decided to take another look at the set in black and white after spending a morning looking at Jim Marshall. Maybe it's the black and white, maybe it's the time spent since I looked at them last...but they seem to really stick out to me now. Can't explain it, just letting it happen.

2 comments:

  1. Great shots, great happy accident. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chuck Close once said that inspiration is highly overrated. If you sit around and wait for the clouds to part, it's not liable to ever happen.
    Real artists get up each day and go to work in the face of uncertainty.
    Trust me, tolerance for uncertainty is the prerequisite for succeeding.
    You're on the right road Hoss.
    Keep on it.

    ReplyDelete