Saturday, February 13, 2010

Star studded unEvents


Today I shot an event. I hate shooting events (I did it for a buddy that double-booked himself.). When you shoot an event you are the least important person in the room. Until after the event. Then possibly, you have something someone can use or something you can use against someone else. That's the only time people respect the event photographer.

You may see this as complaining, but it really just reinforces where I want my photography to go and why I do it. I do it to create something I see in my head. Not for the money (necessarily) and not for the sport of trying to capture someone as they shove wedding cake in their mouth. There are scenes I see and personalities, some true some created, that I want to show. A successful photographer friend of mine once said he takes pictures that make it audience really feel what the subject was feeling. I respect that, but have never thought of my photographs like that. I want viewers to ask, "what happened next."

The event I shot today was attended by several celebrities including Gabrielle Union, Chris Tucker and Spike Lee. I shot a few pics of them as they mingled but really had this empty gut feeling since wasn't going to be able to put them into one of my scenes. I feel like it was a missed opportunity. Maybe I should have handed them my card?

No comments:

Post a Comment