Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Old Time Rock 'n' Roll



Today me and a buddy drove from Dallas to Lubbock, shot a job, and drove back...makes for an extremely long day. And as I explained before, I often look for something extra to shoot when on a road trip, even if it turns out mundane.

Today was different. We randomly stopped at an old cafe. The first table we chose had ants on it so we had to move to a different table. The new table provided a much different view than the first one and I spotted a great location to shoot someone. Trouble is, we were the only ones in the cafe. Just as I was about to put the camera away, an elderly gentleman wearing a beautiful cowboy hat walked in and sat down with his wife. I knew this was the guy I had to shoot at that spot. I let them get their order in and their drinks and I approached them. I politely asked if I could photograph him and he said, "let's go". I sat him down, fired off 4 shots...and viola, we were done.

It's probably one of my favorite photographs I've ever taken. Not only did all the stars have to align for this opportunity, I had to take advantage of it by actually getting off my butt and meeting someone knew. What a great reward.

3 comments:

  1. Great story. I've always believed great people photography comes from fearlessness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great picture - a story is always a bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great shot. You can find some good subjects on little trips like that.

    ReplyDelete